Blog Archive

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Things I Love Thursday {You must be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi} Springfield, MO Photographers



I don't usually do posts like this but I was so inspired by this documentary, it only seemed fitting to blog about it. Levi and I have been watching a lot of documentaries lately and the most fascinating one is definitively Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Profound and slightly offensive title but it's certainly memorable and initially had me very curious. We watch a lot of flicks about food, wellness and the like but this one is different. It really hit home for me. It's based on an Austraian man named Joe Cross, who is striving to loose weight, end his dependency on medication and overall better his health but it's really much more than a guy on a quest to loose weight by consuming only raw fruits and veggies. I was so amazed by one man who was able to help & better himself and in turn inspired and helped others (to get on their way to doing the same). Helping oneself...a domino effect. A good thing to think about! We all know Micheal Jackson started with the man in the mirror (I'm an avid MJ fan) but I think Dr. Robert Holden explains it the best. He wrote:


"Being willing to accept yourself is the first step to bringing out the best in yourself." (Source


So true. Sure, the agriculture in this country is a crock of you know what and the processed foods industry rules the roost but that hasn't stopped Joe and many others from accepting themselves and making changes to better their lives. The argument is, 'well if you have to live like that, than is that a life worth living?' Good point I guess... the reality is, most of us are not going to solely drink juice from raw fruits and veggies until we die (sure would be pretty darn cool if we could have that much self control, right!?) but it's good to consider how incredibly simple it is to eat to live a healthy life (and not live to eat). Simply consume more fruits and vegetables. Perfect example, I spent $150.00 this week to stock up on healthy pantry items from Vitacost (awesome site by the way, check it out if you aren't ordering from them already) but guess how much I spent on just our fresh produce for the week? $40.00 For those of you like me, stupid busy and constantly trying to be super woman, I found this so amazingly SIMPLE. Saving me time and money! Whether you commit to a Juicing Fast or not after viewing this documentary, isn't the point. The documentary inspired me in a way that was more than simply committing to eat more highly nutritious foods but also that...


"The best way to change the world is to change yourself." -Joe Cross (Source)


And so we bought a juicer and are planning our reboot. Just kidding! No really, I'm not. ;-) For me personally, it's not to loose weight but to keep my priorities in check. If I don't have time to make myself a healthy simple meal for hubby and I to sit down to, than what am I working so hard for? To only work? Honestly I've been thinking about it all week. It's profound! Are we running around like chickens with our heads cut off, eating crappy, convenient "food" (that has HUGE consequences), to earn a living...so we can run around like chickens with our heads cut off and eat crappy convenient food? Catch that? The morbidly obese man in the film, chose to quit his job as a Trucker and reboot his life...he essentially saved his own life. (And helped encouraged so many people along the way to do the same...just WATCH IT!) Levi and I got far more out of this film than 'pointers on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle';  it has made me consider what my priorities and goals are. I'm thankful that I am able to consider these things before hitting my busy/crazy/thankgodforanassistant wedding season! haha! I can't imagine what life would be like, if I wasn't passionate about my job! Holy cow! I highly recommend taking the time to watch Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and consider your health, happiness and priorities. Watch the entire movie on hulu.

So I'll leave you with a few quotes from Dr. Robert Holden:


"Some people chase happiness while other people choose happiness. It all depends how much time you want to save. Try to find the place in your mind where you have already decided how good today will be, how good this year will be, how good your life will be. Are you happy with your decision? Set a positive intention right now to let today be even more enjoyable than you thought it was going to be." (Source)

"... if you think happiness is outside you, you will make happiness into a search, a catch or a reward that you must earn. If, however, you know happiness is inside you, then happiness becomes a compass, a teacher and an enabler that helps you to live your best life." (Source). 

No comments:

Search This Blog