Blog Archive

Thursday, August 11, 2011

CBP is looking for an Assistant and Second Shooter {growth}

Wow, what a journey it has been! This past year has been one of the best years of my life. So much growth to be thankful for, it's overwhelming! We're gearing up for a fantastic fall wedding season and are going to need some assistance. (Exciting, right?!) I posted a status on facebook and received many "submissions" and after reading them, I realized I was being too vague. Nothing wrong with a little clarification, right!? Below I hope to spell out my expectations for a assistant and a second shooter. (Please read this post in it's entirely, as a lot of the information will apply to both positions). One thing I will mention off the bat is, a signed agreement, in some cases a non-compete and/or a release of liability, will be required for either an assistant and/or second shooter (depending on the situation). This does not represent mistrust but instead means that the terms are clearly defined and spelled out. Solid communication is imperative in any working relationship. Simple as that. Ok, so where do we begin?

















Wedding/Portrait Assistants:
Assistants have a very different role than a second shooter. Their job is to move things around, carry bags, hold a reflector, get the client a beverage (and in some cases food), retrieve or park my car, etc. Weddings are fast-paced and you never want people to have to wait. I say things like film, batteries, dress (fix the bride's dress), glasses (hold Grandma's glasses), clear the background (dead branches or a chair) and expect an assistant to be diligent and attentive. It's the same idea when on location for a Portrait Session. Below are a few basic guidelines for assistants. Our goal is to help those who are interested in being apart of the CBP team, to better understand the qualities and tasks required. We want to ensure that our clients receive the best experience humanly possible. :) I apologize in advance if the details come across redundant or harsh! It's all going back to the idea of good, clear communication, which makes for an overall better experience in my book. :) 

- Basics qualities I look for: friendly, motivated, reliable, punctual, passionate, eager to learn, understands basic camera functions and my favorite.... has a positive attitude!
"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." ~Winston Churchill Check out this blog post that has helped me in a dramatic way and I think it can have a tremendous effect on anyone: http://thinksimplenow.com/happiness/6-ways-to-be-positive-in-any-situation/
-Tasks: Volunteer to help out! As photographers, we are there at a portrait session or a wedding to be the most friendly, helpful, pleasant, service-oriented people ever. Be ready to carry whatever, whenever, or fetch whatever, whenever, so we can give the client the experience they deserve. (Have I mentioned that enough? I think you probably are getting the point by now!) I expect an assistant to be focused on everyone's needs (including the primary photographer) and help the day/session go as smooth as possible and at times, do things without even being asked.
- Wedding day attire: Please match the “formalness” of the wedding day. If the wedding is at a private country club, think very formal. If the wedding is countryside on a hot summer’s day, I’m okay with a little more casual. If you need clarification, email me. I still even need to do this on occasion. When in doubt, ask the person you are working with or for. - Here are some "do nots":
An assistant's role is not to interact with the clients regarding posing, etc. This is a job of a the primary photographer and at times seconder shooter. Oh and please do not wear flip flops or high heals...you crazy!? :)

Wedding Second Shooters:
Unlike an assistant, a second shooter takes photographs. :) A capable second shooter coupled with a skilled primary wedding photographer can provide added perspectives to the wedding story. For example, the processional can be covered from both the front and the back, with one photographer shooting the groom awaiting the bride, while the other is covering the bride with her father. Two competent photographers working together can ensure maximum coverage throughout the wedding day—one capturing main-event images, while the other takes the in-between shots. I am expecting competent, professional inquires for a second shooter. A lot of what I said above applies to a second shooter (tasks, attire, attitudes and qualities, etc.) but I also want to elaborate a little more...

- Basic shooting requirements: Second shooter must use Canon equipment, understand and shoot in Manual (probably one of the biggest!) and photograph in RAW format.
It’s unfortunate: I’d love to give new shooters the opportunity to grow but in my opinion a wedding (where people are investing a lot of money) isn’t the place for them to do that. I'm looking for someone to deliver consistent, professional results...the results my clients are expecting and paying for. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that we all don't learn and grow everyday, I just expect a second shooter with the skills and understanding of a professional, rather than a hobbyist.
- Rules to follow while second shooting:
Remember the primary photographer doesn't need a shadow. I’m okay with getting the shots I need. It’s a lot more helpful to me to have my second shooters across the room getting a different perspective. I can't be in two places at once--so go ahead and find the images that need to be made!
However, you need to still make yourself available. It can be frustrating when I can’t find you. (This is especially important during the ceremony). Often I'll signal for my second shooter to grab a lens from my bag--you get the point. In short, you need to mind-read. Haha, small order. - Portfolio: Please email me a list of your equipment & a link to your portfolio. christinebonnivier@gmail.com I will let you know if we need to get together for some java and talk some more. :)

So that's the gist of it! If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email. christinebonnivier@gmail.com I'd be happy to answer any of your questions :)

<3 CBP


No comments:

Search This Blog